Tuesday, March 13, 2012

My first pattern (of many? Who knows?)

I just published my first pattern!

Around Christmas, Sam asked me to make a hat for him. I went searching for the type of hat he'd like, but I couldn't find a pattern that really suited him. What do we resourceful knitters do when we can't find exactly what we want? We make one up!

Sam's Brimmed Beanie (rav link)












I made it out of Hand Maiden Cashbah sock yarn, though any soft fingering weight will do. I just know how itchy some yarns can be when they're next to the forehead. There's nothing like a little cashmere to make the itch go away! I used size 1 US needles and surprisingly, it didn't take me very long to complete.

He loves his hat so much! He wears it all over the place, outside, inside (though thankfully he respects it enough not to wear it to bed!)

I'm very pleased with how it turned out. A few of my friends test knitted the pattern for me and they liked it as well!

 I realize that there is an overabundance of exclamation points in this post, but it's all very new and exciting! I'm beginning to wonder what else I can come up with!

10 comments:

  1. It is very new and exciting, I believe that you merit some exclamation marks! I really love this pattern (although sadly it is not really Mr. Engineering's style, so I couldn't make one for him). I think that you chose the perfect yarn, it is manly but still colorful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree, it is a very nice pattern and I know that it would make me excited to see the person I made it for wearing it all the time (even bed). If I ever know a guy who wants a hat, I may have to try this, your's is lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  3. whoop whoop!!!!! Well done!!! Great hat - doesn't it feel good!!! X

    ReplyDelete
  4. NICE! This hat is beautiful... I mean, manly... :-D I love the brim!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the hat!!!! :)

    Might have to make for my hubby or boys.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a nice hat! Sock yarn is a great choice. What is in the brim that holds its shape?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just used some foam material that I got at the craft store, it seems to work nicely!

      Delete
  7. Wow, it's beautiful! Congratulations on your first pattern and I hope you have many more in the future.

    -Triona
    http://trionadesigns.com/blog

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a great design!! Love it.

    ReplyDelete