Thursday, February 23, 2012

It's here!

I love when new yarn arrives. There's something special about opening up that package and getting excited about the prospect of new projects.

I mentioned that I have more knits that I've been commissioned to make and I've finally gotten around to buying the yarn needed for them. First is some Knitpicks Comfy Sport yarn in gray to make Elijah.

I've made this pattern several times before (who could resist, especially when I had twin nieces on the way?). It really is a lot of fun to knit and the finished project always turns out nice no matter what yarn I'm using.

I chose the Comfy yarn because it's a cotton and acrylic blend which I feel would wear better. Not to mention I just don't like knitting with straight up acrylic.

The next project is George the Giraffe. I've never made it before, but I can see myself making some changes on it already. I think the legs would be better if they were more like Elijah's legs, so I think I'll alter the pattern that way, but other than that, I'll probably keep it the same.







I'll be using that same Comfy yarn as Elijah. It is soft and I'm sure it will be wonderful as a toy. Cotton does tend to hurt my hands a bit, but I'm hoping the tiny bit of acrylic with give it a bit more stretch than normal.

Now all I have to do is finish the last hat I was commissioned for. (I'm more than halfway finished! HALLELUIAH!!) I didn't think I'd get sick of knitting that hat pattern, but I tell you, after about the fifth one it's been making me a little squirrely. It takes all my willpower not to pick up another project just for some variety!

This Saturday starts the beginner sock class I'm teaching at one of the LYSs in the area. From what I've been told there will be about 6 people! I plan on teaching a basic sock pattern using DPNs with a heel flap, turned heel and normal decreased toe with Kitchener stitch at the end. Truth be told, I haven't knit a sock like that in a long time! I much prefer the Magic Loop method with short-row heels and toes. I modify all the sock patterns I use to have short rows. They just fit my foot better, plus I don't have to mess with picking up stitches. What's your favorite type of sock to knit?

5 comments:

  1. I know what you mean about socks. Even as a beginner, I didn't learn that way. Oh well, at least you will be teaching some lucky people how to start off knitting socks. I cannot wait to see how the cute little toys turn out!

    ReplyDelete
  2. How interesting- I do everything I can to avoid socks with short rows. I love love love the dutch heel. To me, it just seems much more durable. I totally agree with you about magic loop though. To each her own :) Those animals will be so cute!

    ReplyDelete
  3. EEEE! I had to control myself from experiencing cuteness overload! I have both Elijah and the Giraffe in my Rav favorites, waiting for the perfect little recipient to come along.

    I'm a weirdo, but I totally love a good heel flap sock. But, I'm with you in regards to using magic loop versus dpns....can't stand the pointy little buggers.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm definitely a double pointed gal and I do like a good heel flap!
    The toys are super cute! I have been planning a bunch of stuff for my new niece/nephew and I thought about your lovely star - but maybe one of these lovelies is the way to go!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't really have a favorite type of sock, but I try to avoid short-row toes and heels. I just can't seem to knit them without them looking sloppy. I tend towards top-down with heel flap or toe-up with gusset.

    Can't wait to see how Elijah and George come out. I've never made a toy. Might just have to one of these days; they're all so terribly cute.

    ReplyDelete